Syndication

Camelot set to revive Breath of Fire series?

During a recent interview, Camelot Software Planning’s renowned heads of company, Hiroyuki and Shugo Takahashi, who like to be known simply as ‘The Takahashi Brothers’, revealed that they have been bumping up their depleted role-playing development team and are now more than happy to take on almost any project thrown at them.

Speaking with UK website Cubed³ in an interview set to be published this weekend about the impending Wii release of We Love Golf, which is being published by Capcom, The Takahashi Brothers were asked about future work with the publisher that is well-known for big hits such as Resident Evil, Street Fighter and Devil May Cry. Considering Camelot’s previous experience in the role-playing game field, and how Capcom has been neglecting its popular RPG franchise ‘Breath of Fire’ since the fifth entry on the PlayStation 2, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, released in Japan back in November 2002, the question of would they be willing to resurrect it seemed quite an obvious one. And the response was certainly more than slightly positive, as can be seen below:

Cubed3.com: Considering your current deal with Capcom, and the fact that the company has left its Breath of Fire series untouched for far too long, would you ever give consideration to tackling the resurrection of that RPG franchise?

Hiroyuki and Shugo Takahashi, Camelot Software Planning: We get asked this a lot recently. The development team is extremely important in making an RPG and when some of the team left after Mario Tennis GBA we had to say it wasn’t possible. Lately, however, the gap is being filled and I’m quite confident to take on pretty much anything. It is possible to start planning for titles such as the Breath of Fire series. As I mentioned earlier, the number of games we can develop at a time is quite limited so we would like to consider what people want the most in order to determine the next title for development.

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter (PlayStation 2, Capcom, 2002)

With the first two Breath of Fire games on the Super Nintendo, the third and fourth outings coming on the PSone and the latest release being on the PlayStation 2 nearly six years ago, if a sixth game does indeed go ahead, it would be anyone’s guess where it would land, since Capcom has been actively supporting all three leading current generation platforms.

Which system would you prefer to see a future Breath of Fire on, though - Wii, Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3? Be sure to air your thoughts by posting below and stick around for further updates…

del.icio.us:Camelot set to revive Breath of Fire series? newsvine:Camelot set to revive Breath of Fire series? furl:Camelot set to revive Breath of Fire series? reddit:Camelot set to revive Breath of Fire series? fark:Camelot set to revive Breath of Fire series? Y!:Camelot set to revive Breath of Fire series? gamegrep:Camelot set to revive Breath of Fire series?

18 comments on 'Camelot set to revive Breath of Fire series?'

Comment by kerg on 2008-06-30 17:12:28

without question, I would be more than happy to see a brand new or even a old (then it must be in 3D) remake on my (truly) beloved 360! I play often with my nintendo wii too, but an xbox360 outing can sure profit from moooore horsepower - I need a good epic story, believable characters and many interesting sidequests! uuh.. a sexy princess of windia? maybe? ;)

Comment by BOF Rocks on 2008-07-02 03:17:17

As a fan of the breath of fire series, I would love to see it return back from its respectable sleep. I wouldn’t mind an 3D anime style remake of BOF 1 with the original game as a bonus but to see a brand new breath of fire game would be so great! Please bring back this lovable series…

Comment by Grizzley on 2008-07-07 21:12:02

I’ve been waiting for 6 years now to see another BOF game. I loved every facet of 3 and 4, and some things about 5. If they would include the gene system from 3 and expand it to something around 50 genes, bring back all of the good characters, define the plot and ending - instead of leaving them vague - I would love that game like none other.
Idk if any of the game developers from capcom or whoever else has a hand in making BOF reads any of this stuff, but if by some chance they do, please remake BOF. Its been too long.

Comment by kerg on 2008-07-09 14:13:20

In my eyes Breath of Fire 1 till 4 are great RPGs

In my first comment I requested an epic story ok.. The Bof Series was never about epic but was till its fourth iteration IMO was seamless solid.

The side quests in the original Bof Rpgs were rater short too, but I adore the simple art of them! It was fun to bring the water jar with the holy water back to the in zombie transformed people and I had a smile upon my face as I had the possibility to rebuild a whole village!

I would prefer to become dragon force automatically with the level up! but mabey with the possibility to mix them, like the in gene system from Bof3!

that all party members had their own special abilities, was a great feature!!

:D

Comment by dre on 2008-07-17 14:55:08

love to c it on the 360 especially breath of fire 3 the best of the bof series amd the best rpg ever!! by farrrrr!

Comment by kerg on 2008-07-20 11:42:39

You haven’t played Skies of Arcadia (DC, NGC), nor Anachronox for PC..? then try to play them! :D

Comment by Astral on 2008-08-21 11:54:18

Now, that’s news ! We had not heard of a possibility of a new breath of fire for…TOO LONG! Now, let’s hope that they will actually chose to revive this series.
BOF games, are trully the best RPG for me!

Comment by zach hopkins on 2008-11-22 15:15:19

ok, this is what i think, 1 through 4 breath of fire’s r amazing, 5 kinda changed the game a lil ti much….i like the good old stand there and choose an attack and take turns….i luved tht…..idk y….its just different….ii was thinking you should make more breath of fires similair to 1-4…. i wouldnt care if i was 3d or not just the gameplay. and if you could revivee every breath of fire game for another sysytem…please change the endings a bit so they tie in with the next game…..cuz i hate getting this cool ending and then in the next one im a baby in a crystal (2nd to 3rd) that would b really cool if the endings at somethung to do with the beginning of every1 tht follows it. ike for example…this is a crappy example but….in the 2nd when you die on the cave to protect it in gate….(good ending) i think something should happen where like they were mining in gate and came across a dragon…and it shrunk to a baby…idk lol…just something tht would make the story much longer..tht would b awsome

Comment by Ma®tian Lynx on 2008-11-25 17:44:08

I would love to see the next BoF… But, i was thinking, why not just transform the BoF I,II and III into 3D? That way CAPCOM has lots way experimenting on how their characters, or the world of Breath of Fire would look like. ^_^ I mean… The story is already there, so they don’t have to change anything. And all they have to do is just add more Ability features, and cool effects experimenting on 3D System. ^_^ So that in BoF 3, even better graphics would be way much cooler!! Like let the players experience how the world of BoF would LOOK LIKE!! ^_^ awesomness!! ^_^

Comment by Garr on 2008-11-26 07:10:56

I think a new Breath of Fire would be 100% perfect! Although I think it shouldn’t focus on graphics because game developers focus too much on graphics these days, completely forgetting about the gameplay and ruining it. The graphics were fine the way they were (I-IV). What we need is a game with graphics similar to III or IV and some of the features of those two and new ones as well. Either way, I’d love to see Breath of Fire back regardless of how it’s done. I’m also looking forward to the new Shining Force!

Comment by True bof master on 2008-12-10 17:20:24

YES!!!!!!!MAKE THE GAME. i am the biggest fan and i am thirsty for more bof.BOF is the best rpg ever made and by the way all the stories do tie in together except 5 it goes from 4 to 1 to 2 to 3. at the end of 4 Yuna said that he can create as many gods as he wants, the first one was nina sister who looks like the boss in three and the boss in three is also the boss in 1 because did not die in bof1 so Yuna created deathvn too from bof 2. so it goes 4123.

Comment by stoked on 2009-02-03 03:54:30

Having played all of the Breath of Fire games and having loved them all, ESPECIALLY 5, I have to say that I can’t wait for a new game to be announced. Dragon Quarter challenged a lot of what we feel an RPG should be, and presented an utterly grotesque story that stretched into the gameplay, and really made a huge impact on me. I don’t know what they do for the next game, and I don’t really care- Breath of Fire games are strong in that they’re vague, and as long as they keep with that I’ll be more than happy. Oh, and multiplatform will definitely be the way to go! :D

Comment by Bilal on 2009-05-09 19:02:43

A bof part 6 would be super sexy awesome ive played and ended 1-4 and never had the chance to play 5 cuz i never seemed to find it anywhere anyways i would really love for a 3D bof game for xbox 360 or for psp but really just the thought of a another bof game…..sweeeet,i just dont know why they stoped making the game.

Comment by Sofa Tyrant on 2009-06-09 07:42:36

breath of fire 2 was the very first rpg i’ve played back when i was 8 years old and the story, concept, and soundtrack of the game and the other BoF titles that followed were really awesome.. and imo rivals even final fantasy…
i’m quite sure that no matter how good the BoF series is, i believe there are tons of room for improvement and as a hardcore fan of the series i look forward to the latest installment if possible for the Xbox 360 since a lot of users would be exposed to the game…
and that’s the only console we have at the moment… anyways… bottomline.. yes! please make another breath of fire game, one that would completely make its presence known in today’s rpgeneration!

Comment by Pieter Ferdinand Verbeke on 2009-11-29 16:46:15

Yes, I would absolutely love to see either a breath of fire remake on the newer consoles, or a new installment that followed in the footsteps of the first two games. The Gene system from Bof 3 was really cool and the idea to update it with more genes, and well designed strategy would be great. I don’t think the series is that unpopular, it’s just they need to make higher quality titles that capture not just the imagination of the fans, but the fun factor of the average rpg-er.

Comment by gökhan on 2010-02-13 13:37:01

omg BREATH OF FIRE 6 !!!
YES PLEASEEE =)

greetz from germany

Comment by celticjasen on 2010-05-11 22:50:23

Breath of Fire VI would be interesting to see. I own 1-5 and I realy loved 1-4. 5 wasn’t apealing to me because of the whole being stuck underground thing and the lack of actual dragon forms. It’s not a bad thing to stick to HP, AP and the level-up system instead of that D-counter and playing the game over and over again to beat the game.. I hated the D-counter. The gene system from 3 was a great idea to let the player come out with whatever dragon he wanted to fight with. 4 had a good idea to use game points to be able to power up your different dragon forms. The fishing game and hunting and flying around the world should be something that stays with the series. The story to each BOF game seemed to be that Ryu is headed for the bad guy but ends up stopping all over the place along the way to help the locals out of a jam and that ended up branching off tons of mini storylines that were somewhat connected to the main story. This is a good focus for your story since that’s pretty much the reason anyone would go out on quests and take on other obstacles on the way. The shaman feature in 2 was a very interesting way to power up your non-dragon party members. Perhaps they should let the player control exactly what stats will increase upon levelup and maybe even customize the look of the hero. I always loved customization but I also love the original characters… Capcom has a lot of different things they could do with this game if they decide to come out with it. Perhaps PS4 is the way to go? hahah!

Comment by FreezerCat on 2010-11-10 04:41:20

stop whining about BOF5 its actually a good game only a little harder.i liked all breath of fire games especially BOF5 because its very challenging.i don’t really care about the dragon form the only thing that i cared is the gameplay.i hope BOF6 will be just like BOF5.

Click here to comment on the article on Playstatic.